Jewish Culture with Meri
Date: June 25, 2020
Time: 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Join Meri Weiss for Jewish Culture discussions every Thursday afternoon via Zoom: https://zoom.us/j/91935005290?pwd=Vzc5R1VzVkl3anNrQzkxTVcvem5zZz09
Topics for July:
- July 2nd - Patriotism - Jews have often been accused of having “dual-loyalty” and caring more about Israel than the United States. We’ll explore the history of this claim and what Judaism has to say about being patriotic.
- July 9th - Critical Thinking pt 1 - Does Judaism ask us for blind faith? What is the role of science in Judaism?
- July 16th - Critical Thinking pt 2 - how do we know what is true? Are there different types of truth?
- July 23rd - Kosher - more than just food, something being “kosher” indicates it is moral and correct. How do we apply kashrut to things we don’t eat?
- July 30th - History - Is the Torah an accurate guide to Jewish history? What about school textbooks? Encyclopedias and atlases? We’ll talk about how to evaluate sources, and fill in the gaps in our education.